Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tea Time

So, I left off in the middle of a tiresome journey to my final destination. I was fortunate enough to catch the first flight possible to Kabul, where a hot shower and comfy bed welcomed me. Our time at Kabul was filled with briefings on our mission. The powerpoint was short as our mission brief was more theoretical than practical.

My team's mission is to mentor the Afghan National Army 209th Corps Public Affairs Office. Basically, teach them writing, photography, video, and media relation skills. We are part of the second wave of training teams sent to each operational region in the country. Of note: this is an Air Force led operation. Along the way, we will also have a smaller role in mentoring the Afghan National Police as well but our primary focus is on our Army partners.

After our brief we caught a flight to Mazar e Sharif where we stayed at the German run Camp Marmal. I have to say that if I ever get the chance to go back and hang out for a day or two, I would do so willingly. They have such a great set-up at their camp that it almost seems like you are in a small European village. Complete with a restaurant, bar, coffee shop, and great facilities, I found it hard to actually leave when our convoy finally arrived the next day.

A quick, bumpy ride later, I finally made it to Camp Mike Spann. I was amazed at how opposite my new location was to the German's camp. Everything here is only a stone's throw away from each other. I was given the grand tour and was extremely surprised to find it had only taken us about five minutes to complete our journey. Needless to say, this place is tiny without any of the amenities that have graced me along the road here.

My room consists of 6x10 area inside, what are affectionately known as, B-huts. I have a bed, make-shift desk, and wall locker. Nails protrude from the wall creating hanging areas for all of my gear and clothing. I hung a towel to block the light that remains on all hours of the day because my "wall" doesn't continue all the way to the ceiling. I was fortunate enough to have a power outlet in my area, which powers my laptop. There isn't any Internet outside our office or morale tent, so my laptop is quickly becoming a glorified movie screen.

The nearest bathroom/shower facility is at the end of my row of B-huts, but a port-a-potty nearby keeps me from making the journey all the way down in the middle of the night. You never realize how often you have to get out of bed to use the restroom in the middle of the night until you have to get fully dressed to go use it. Thankfully, it isn't so cold that I can't wear shorts for my short comfort break.

Today we ventured over to the Afghan base that we are attached to and met with our Afghan partners. Despite the lengthy courtship that we were told about, we quickly befriended our counterparts and were immediately showing family pictures and laughing over many cups of chai tea. We were even treated to lunch at their dining facility where I had some of my favorite rice from a trip to the country two years ago. I don't know what it is about the rice here, but I can't get enough of it. I wasn't so sure about the meat on my plate, but I sampled and pushed the rest around the plate enough to appear that I had eaten more than I actually did.

Overall, we had a very productive first meeting and I am looking forward to helping our new friends tell their own story to the media and the world.

Continue to check in on just another day in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, thanks for the update, inquiring and loving minds want to know!! Many here are following your blog and facebook to keep up on your news - and are praying for you. I love you, Mom.

    ReplyDelete