Sunday, January 17, 2010

Camp Confessions

As you wait in line at the store you hear the phone conversation from the person behind you. No, they have no intention of keeping their discussion a secret. Regardless of the topic, they are oblivious to the social taboo of sharing their dialogue. Without any other recourse, we are all drawn into the inevitable eavesdropping.

Being deployed is no break from this phenomenon but it does have a slightly different twist. My experiences come in the form of either sharing banks of phones or the occasional loud talker using one of the few video-messaging computers in the MWR building. Don’t be fooled though, it is truly the same experience.

While chatting on Facebook with my wife, I couldn’t ignore the gentleman behind me if I tried to. I felt as if I was listening to a soap opera as he refuted his wife or girlfriend’s claims of having another interest. At one point I actually wanted to hear the female’s responses, which would further infuriate the man to another decibel.

As I thought about it, I considered the numerous times I’ve had to sit and wait for an empty phone to use only to be drawn into someone’s discussion. From a simple “I love you” to unsettled disputes and the consistent money problems, I’ve heard it all. Sometimes sad but more often excited, these are the background noises of phone and computer facilities across deployed bases everywhere.

The taboo that comes with being in public, where you could choose to go somewhere else to finish your phone call, is absent when you have no other option. So, those of us deployed are often forced into sharing a laugh, planning return parties, or just pouring out our hearts in front of an audience.

One thing’s for certain, we all take the stage with pride when it’s our turn for a few minutes on the phone with family and friends…audience and all.

Keep checking back to see how things turn out in just another day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment