Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Progress


Random soldier who stopped me to take his photo. This happens on a regular basis, the soldiers enjoy having their picture taken.

Jason, the new broadcaster on our team, sits about 30 feet up on the crumbly mud roof of an abandoned building that was once part of a Russian base.


Afghan soldiers hurry to the starting point of their training lane while practicing squad tactics.


Sgt. Dan Allinson and Lance Cpl. Matt Tune discuss possible changes to an Afghan Army training event.


An Afghan soldier rushes toward an enemy fighting position during a training exercise designed to teach squad tactics.


Yesterday I was able to link up with two British soldiers responsible for training Afghan National Army instructors while they held a class on squad tactics. Yes, the very same soldiers who also accomplished the 24-hour run. It’s amazing how networking happens sometimes and I was very thankful for the receptiveness to our tagging along. Their training event taught the ANA soldiers how to react to an enemy attack, which included attacking the enemy and then holding the position.

After a brief ride in an over occupied humvee, we arrived at training location where ANA soldiers were about to begin the practical exercise of their training. Jason, the new broadcaster on our advisory team, and I quickly got the lay of the land and were brought on top an abandoned building to watch the first iteration of the exercise. I found out that the mud buildings we were standing on were part of an old Russian forward operating base – wow, very surreal.

I didn’t stay on the rooftop long before heading down for some close-ups of the Afghan soldiers as they used their newfound skills to defeat a simulated enemy. Immediately, I noticed a distinct difference in the noise levels of the blanks fired from their AK-47 rifles and the blanks we used in our M4s at training – theirs are much louder! Later, I also found out that I should watch for instructors with flash bangs because having one go off a few feet behind me was extremely startling; a stunt that I’m sure was intentional.

The Afghan soldiers had been split into two groups, so we had the ability to watch both in two different scenarios. I was very impressed with all of the ANA instructors and their leadership, especially when one of them scolded a soldier and forced him to run down the lane and back with his rifle over his head. Listening to the British mentors talk about the Afghan soldiers’ progress, while interviewing them for a story, was a sign that we are making head way with the Afghan Army. Personally, I feel this country is a long way from some of the lofty goals I hear about, but, after watching the soldiers train, I realized that we were one step closer to helping create a self-sustaining Army.

Another great day in northern Afghanistan, keep checking back for stories from just another day in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment