Saturday, October 3, 2009

The eagle has landed


Ok, so you're reading this wondering what in the world could possibly be interesting about little ol' me and my upcoming deployment. Well, to be honest, nothing is interesting at this point. The fun will be seeing what happens during this journey.

First, some info to bring you up to speed. I was tasked earlier this year with a deployment to Baghdad. As the time approached, I completed combat skills training in Wyoming. Training was great, I even had fun (don't tell anyone). Two weeks after training, my deployment got cancelled and we all celebrated for the moment but feared any future taskings.

Not to be let down, I received a short-notice tasking to Afghanistan. Not only was I to deploy but I first needed to complete a separate 30 day Army combat skills training course at Ft Dix. Strike number one is the fact that I just finished training. Strike number two is that i've done a 30 day Army course before and I know what's coming.

The Army handles their training different from the Air Force. First of all, I would know my schedule for the entire course on the first day - all the way down to every bathroom break. Secondly, our days would start and stop at the same time every day. But knowing the differences is half the battle, so I just might survive. Prior to leaving the airport for a very uncomfortable bus ride to the Ft Dix, the first sergeant gave a very apropos comment to the bus full of Airmen wondering what they were about to enter - "Embrace the suck."

As night falls and I set my lofty goal of blogging to maintain my sanity, I wonder what new adventures await. I wonder how this training will be different from those before. I wonder what my family is doing right now. I wonder why I always end up in a room with someone who snores.

So, please stay tuned for another adventure and feel free to comment away. Your feedback will hopefully keep me blogging my boredom away.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, Chris! Thanks for the insight so I know what to look forward to when I get there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, know that I am praying for you and your family, for protection, for comfort and for peace. I love you - Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, What a great idea! Thanks for taking us along on your journey. Please know that you and your family are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally on board with the "no reading the powerpoint presentation" Chris likes to read me stuff that he is showing me and it makes me CRAZY...I always say, "you know, I CAN read..." I think your blog is fab and will read it every day!

    ReplyDelete